01 02 03 Sydney Fashion Hunter: Dining In Bali - Hits & Misses 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Dining In Bali - Hits & Misses

34

I'm back home in Sydney but I couldn't resist another Bali post. Everyone has to eat right? There are so many restaurants in Bali that it can be daunting making a decision. Mr SFH is a bit of a creature of habit and when he finds a joint he likes he prefers to keep going back rather than risk an unknown. I, on the other hand love to try new places. We compromise (like any good relationship) by doing both! Dining in Bali can be a bit hit and miss but if you follow my advice hopefully I can steer you towards more hits than misses. Read on for all the details ...

Follow Me!

      


Hitana (Revisit) - 3/5
In the Niksoma hotel right on Legian beach, it's the perfect for watching the sunset with a cocktail in hand. This visit we just stopped in for dessert. Hubs had the chocolate lava cake which was lovely and gooey inside exactly the way it should be but had more of a chocolate pudding flavour. I had the fruit crepes, which were perfectly light and refreshing on a hot summer night. Delish! Read more reviews on TripAdvisor.




Sheppy's (Revisit) - 5/5
So straight off I'm going to tell you this is not fine dining nor does it pretend to be. We visited for lunch this trip and between us tried the chicken satay and salt and pepper calamari. We have visited multiple times and have not had a bad meal here. Sheppy's is Australian owned and this attracts a largely Aussie clientele but we chose to go based on the positive Trip Advisor reviews. The cool towels on arrival are always very appreciated in a hot, humid climate. Mr SFH proclaimed his calamari the second best he has ever eaten. I sneaked a bite (or two!) and it was pretty good. Cooked perfectly tender with a light batter but a bit light on the pepper for my liking. The satay sticks were a substantial serve by Bali standards and came with rice and a little salad. The sauce was richer and heartier (almost gravy like) than you would normally expect and was packed with flavour. 2 meals and 2 drinks for under $20 is never going to be bad. We will be back. Read more reviews on TripAdvisor.




Lei's Specialty Indonesian (Revisit) - 4/5
Lei's is located in The Legian Beach Hotel directly opposite the beach which is perfect for a romantic dinner gazing at wonderful sunsets (see first photo in this post). While I love all varieties of food I think it's important to always try the local fare when you travel. Lei's has an extensive menu so take your time to read through it all. We were treated to some complimentary crackers and dipping sauce while we made our minds up and finally settled on a shared serve of lumpia semarang (Indonesian spring rolls) to start and for main I went for Beef Rendang (braised beef in coconut milk, lemon grass, kaffir lime and turmeric) while hubs had the sepat ayam (chicken in lime, tomatoes, scallion almonds & chili). I'm always skeptical of ordering beef in Bali because a) it is usually expensive and b) cooked inconsistently.  The beef itself was not as tender as I would have expected and could have done with a slower cook but the flavours were spot on. Hubby's chicken was tender and delicious with complex flavours from the myriad of spices. To finish we were provided with a palette cleanser and some cool towels. Presentation and attention to detail at Lei's is amazing. Read more reviews on TripAdvisor.







Mozzarella by the Sea (Revisit) - 1/5
This was our favourite restaurant on our last visit and to say we were looking forward to going back was an understatement, unfortunately this time around the reality just did not meet the expectation. We visited twice, hubby had the tuna both times and I had Chicken Paprika (not pictured) and Fettuccine Carbonara. All were disappointing, bordering on inedible. The second time I let them know and we were given a free dessert but frankly by that point we were over it. We were also let down by the 2 4 1  cocktails. They were light on in terms of alcohol and the Pina Colada was revolting. There are a few Mozzarella's scattered around the island so perhaps others would be better but we were very underwhelmed this time around. The best thing was the sunset views over the ocean but as beautiful as it was it could not compensate for the dismal food. Read more reviews on TripAdvisor.






Yogi's Paradise & Grill (New) - 5/5
Looking for a new lunch spot to try we decided to give Yogi's a go given it was rated #2 on Trip Advisor. Surely that many people can't be wrong! We lunched here three times and the first time we almost didn't walk inside but I am so glad we did. The rear of the restaurant has a lovely open space from where you can see the glass encased kitchen. The fans and cool towels on arrival were a lovely touch. The menu is a mix of Asian and western foods and over our three visits we sampled, Nasi Goreng, pizza, onion rings, satay chicken, calamari, a chicken burger and the cheese, garlic and chili bread. We were not disappointed with any of the dishes we were presented. If I wanted to be really picky I could say the crumb on the calamari was not quite as crunchy as I would have liked and the pepperoni on the pizza while nice, was not what I have come to expect pepperoni to be. The onion rings were amazing with a tangy, tomato based sauce as a bonus. The icing on the cake was meeting Yogi himself. Read more reviews on TripAdvisor.












Romeo's (New) - 4/5
Romeo's is located in the Ossotel hotel. Even though this our second stay here we have never sampled the in house restaurant for anything other than breakfast. This time we had no choice, it was Nyepi and we were in lock down and unable to leave the hotel. The restaurant itself was only serving buffet so we chose to have both lunch and dinner from the room service menu. For lunch we had a Romeo and Juliet burger each which was perfectly pleasant. Served with chips and a barbecue like sauce, it hot the spot nicely. For dinner we wanted Pizza but they had closed the Pizza oven down at 7pm (dammit!) so we opted for fettuccine carbonara (me) and a Nasi Goreng (him). I must have either deleted or forgotten to the photos sorry! The menu did not state that the pasta came with mushrooms so I spend 15 minutes digging them all out before I could take a bite. We enjoyed our meals under the circumstances but I would have preferred to be out dining in a restaurant rather than eating off my bed. Our last day in the hotel was Mr SFH's birthday and the kitchen surprised us with a lovely little cake to celebrate. Nice touch guys!  Read more reviews on TripAdvisor.




Seaside (New) - 3.5/5
We heard a lot of good things about Seaside and thought we should give it a go. We dined twice during our trip. The first time we had chicken fajitas (not pictured) and it was very ordinary. I mean we ate it, but we were not wowed. To be fair we thought we better give it another try on the last night of our trip and Mr SFH's birthday. Hubs had the fillet steak and I had the pumpkin ravioli. It was much better this time around. The beef was cooked to perfection and the sauce with was divine. The only disappointing thing on the plate were the onion rings which were a little dry and lacking in flavour. My pasta was delightful. The filling was silky smooth and the tomato based sauce was a perfect compliment. The low rating simply reflects the inconsistency we experienced. Read more reviews on TripAdvisor.




Holy Guacamole (New) - 4/5
The day before Nyepi meant that many restaurants had already starting closing down so our choices were limited. We were hot, sweaty and hungry and after already trying Yogi's and Sheppy's which we both closed we landed here in desperation. Gee are we glad we did. We shared a chicken Fajitas (minus the guacamole - yuck!) and added three extra tortilla's and two serve's of Mexican rice. Seriously Yum! The Mexican rice had a really good kick that lifted the whole meal. Read more reviews on TripAdvisor.



Coming Soon ...
I was very excited to see this pop up near the Hard Rock Cafe in Kuta. Workers said it was at least a few months off opening. I know this will warrant a visit when we are next in Bali.



Got any favourite restaurants in Bali? I'd love to hear about them in the comments.

Until Next Time ...


Happy Hunting

SFH
XXX


You might Also Like ...

    

Labels:

35 36 37 38