Any painter worth their salt knows that the end result is all about preparation not just the top coat. Getting a perfect finish on your face is no different. It's what goes on underneath that makes all the difference. Now I'm no beauty blogger but I have sampled umpteen products over the years and learned a thing or two about what works with my skin and what doesn't. Read on for all my anti ageing skin care favourites ...
Follow Me!
Step 1 - Cleanse
The daily grind can effect your skin more than you would think and starting with really clean skin is essential. I have used Matis products for the last 10 years or so after I discovered them in a Salon in the Sydney CBD. About four years ago they stopped selling them in Australia and they also prohibit overseas suppliers shipping them down under. This would have made lesser mortals give up and switch brands but I am made of sterner stuff and I always manage to get my hands on these with varying degrees of difficultly, including multiple times where I have shipped items to US hotels when I have been visiting, Where there is a will there is a way right? These days I usually order from UK suppliers on eBay, most of which offer free shipping to Oz. The cleanser I swear by for my aging and very dry skin is Matis Reponse Jeunesse Essential Cleansing Emulsion (buy here).
Step 2 - Exfoliate
Exfoliating removes dead skins cells to reveals fresh new skin underneath and everyone needs to exfoliate at least once a week. Exfoliants generally comes in two types; manual, where little grains do the buffing or chemical, where active ingredients slough away spent skin cells. I use Matis Youth Grain (buy here) which is a combination of both. I pop it on before I jump in the shower every Saturday, leave it on for 10 minutes and then buff it off.
Step 3 - Tone
Remove every last trace of cleanser and exfoliant with a great toner. If you have dry skin like me, make sure it is alcohol free and very gentle. I use Matis Reponse Jeunesse Essential lotion (buy here).
Step 4 - Mask
Like exfoliation this is also only needed once a week. Leave it on overnight for a super boost if you don't mind getting your pillow a little messy! I use Matis Reponse Jeunesse Youth Hydrating Mask. (buy here).
Step 5 - Serum
Serums are the heroes of your skin care routine and deliver a super dose of active ingredients based on your skins needs. Some are very specialised and some are more a jack of all trades. Up until about a year ago I never bothered with a serum but as your skin ages you will want to get on board with these as an essential part of your anti ageing skin care regime. In my view for anyone over 40 this is not a luxury but a necessity. I like Clinique Smart Custom Repair Serum (buy here) because it takes care of a wide range of concerns. I also sometimes use Peter Thomas Roth Camu Camu Power Cx30 Vitamin C Brightening Serum (buy here) which packs a vitamin C punch.
Step 6 - Moisturise
I change up my moisturiser often. I use a very rich one like Dior Capture XP Ultimate Wrinkle Correction Creme (buy here) in the winter. In summer I like Shiseido Benefiance Wrinkle Resist 24 Day Cream (buy here) because it has a built in SPF15.
Step 7 - Eye Cream
The skin around the eyes is much more delicate that the face or declotage and needs specialist care. I use Clarins Super Restorative Total Eye Concentrate (buy here). Make sure you are very delicate with the application (pat don't rub!) so you don't stretch the skin.
Step 8 - Primer
Napolean Perdis says 'not to prime is a crime' and I agree. Primer sets the stage for your foundation and will ensure it lasts all day looking flawless. Let it dry properly before moving on to the next step. Napolean Perdis Auto Pilot (buy here) is the original and still one of the best, Natio Ageless Illuminating Primer (buy here) is a great budget option and my current favourite is Mecca Cosmetica Lit From Within Illuminating Primer (buy here) which gives a wonderful glow to dull winter skin.
Step 9 - Concealer
Use sparingly on spots and dark circles. This is not intended to be used on your entire face. Try Covergirl Invisible Concealer (buy here). Make sure you blend well!
Step 10 - Foundation
Foundation comes in a mind blowing array of formulations, consistencies and colours so picking the perfect one is a (sometimes frustrating!) game of trial and error. When looking for a great foundation think about the coverage you want. Do you want to conceal your freckles or let your natural skin show through? I've never been a fan of the caked on look and so I opt for a tinted mosturiser. I'm currently using MAC Studio Moisture Tint but I have just found out it has been discontinued so I am currently on the hunt for an alternative. I also use Chanel Vitalumiere Mositure-Rich Radiance Sunscreen Fluid Make-Up (buy here) when I need a little more coverage. I'm also not adverse to mixing the two for something in between. Make sure you take you foundation all the way down to your neck and taper out across your decolletage. There is nothing worse than two tone face and neck. When testing in store make sure you do it on your face not the back of your hand because skin tones can be very different. You may need two foundations, one for winter and one for summer when your skin has a little more colour. Don't buy until you are absolutely convinced you have the right one.
Step 11 - Powder
Sets your foundation and takes care of unwanted shine. I like MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Powder (buy here). Use a big, fluffly brush to apply and don't be too heavy handed.
All done! Now your all set to add some colour!
Know any great anti ageing skin care products you swear by? I'd love to hear about them in the comments below.
Until Next time ...
Happy Hunting
SFH
xxx
You Might Also Like
Disclaimer:This post contains affiliate links, which may result in a commission. Items marked C/O have been provided free of charge. All opinions are my own.