01 02 03 Sydney Fashion Hunter: Shopping In Patong 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Shopping In Patong

34
Sydney Fashion Hunter - Shopping In Patong

Everyone likes to bring a souvenir or two home from their travels and every destination has unique offerings when it comes to shopping. Let me start by saying Patong in NOT a major city and you are not going to find designer goods here (genuine ones anyway!), so if you are looking for high end you are in the wrong spot! That said, there are plenty of merchants hawking their wares and their enthusiasm to make a sale can be a little bit daunting for a first timer. My guide will help to steer you through the maze and hopefully bag a bargain in the process. Read on for all the details ...

Follow Me!

      



MARKET STALLS

Sydney Fashion Hunter - Shopping In Patong

Market stalls make up the bulk of the options when shopping in Patong. They line every street and alley and you can pick up practically anything including souvenirs, clothes, shoes, watches, jewellery, bags, wallets, cosmetics, perfume and bikinis. Bargaining for the best prices is almost a sport in Patong and it's easy for unsuspecting tourists to come unstuck. A word of warning: ALL items are fakes. Think about it, there is just no way you are going to be buying a genuine Chanel bag for $50 or a pair of Quicksilver boardies for $10. I personally prefer to buy the genuine article but if you have no issues with a knock off or two then here are my tips for paying a fair price:-


The more you buy the better bargain you can negotiate but as a guide expect to pay between 100 - 250 for t-shirts, 80 - 100 for undies, 250 - 300 for board shorts, 100 - 150 for thongs, 1000 - 1500 for large handbags (totes), 400 - 500 for small handbags, 300 - 400 for wallets and 50 for DVD's with one free if you buy 10. You can get non knock off items a little cheaper. We picked up four pairs of shorts with traditional Thai prints for one of the girls for 300 baht ($12) for the lot and I snapped up a bunch of handmade fabric bracelets to wear while I was there (3 for 100) and let my inner hippy shine :). As I said, I prefer the genuine article so the only fakes I bought for myself were the thongs below and that was only because mine broke so I was in a bit of a bind, however the others in my group have no qualms with faking it. The hubs picked up some shorts, t-shirts and undies while The Enabler and family really stocked up with way too many items to feature here lol.

Sydney Fashion Hunter - Shopping In Patong

Sydney Fashion Hunter - Shopping In Patong

Sydney Fashion Hunter - Shopping In Patong

Sydney Fashion Hunter - Shopping In Patong

Sydney Fashion Hunter - Shopping In Patong


SHOPPING CENTRES

Sydney Fashion Hunter - Shopping In Patong

The main mall in Patong is Jungceylon and while it is quite pretty, it really is just another mall with names you will recognise such as Pandora, Crocs, Esprit, Nike, Samsonite, Guess, Oakley and Swarovski but prices are the same if not more than at home. Stop in for a while if you like but don't expect a bargain. Banana Walk pitches itself as a 'lifestyle mall' but it offers little in the way of shopping. I did however, love the Pimnara Spa with 500 baht facials. The biggest mall on the island of Phuket is Central Festival about 30 minutes drive from Patong. You will see plenty of names you know and love like Dorothy Perkins, Zara, Guess, La Senza, Lacoste, Levis, Nautica, Next, Bebe, The Body Shop, Miss Selfridge, H&M and Swarovski. Just like Jungceylon, prices will be similar to what you pay at home but if you are lucky you may just find something unique.


OUTLETS

Sydney Fashion Hunter - Shopping In Patong

The outlets are a fair way from Patong towards the airport and while I have never personally visited I thought they were worth including for those so inclined. I usually love and outlet mall and have been to plenty in the US but the main reason I have never bothered here is I have read a raft of reviews that seem to all be of the opinion that the bargains are not worth the trek. Read others thoughts here and make up your own mind.


Have you picked up any bargains while shopping in Patong? I'd love to hear about them in the comments below.


Until Next Time ...

Happy Hunting!

SFH
xxx

You Might Also Like

Sydney Fashion Hunter - Phuket Know Before You Go    Sydney Fashion Hunter - Shopping In Bali I    Sydney Fashion Hunter - Shopping In Waikiki

See All Travel Posts Here

Labels:

35 36 37 38