Regular readers will know that I lately I have been lamenting the signs that the passage of time is leaving on my face. I don't think I am ever going to learn to love my wrinkles, no matter how many times I tell myself that they are a sign of a life well lived and lots of laughter. With my 45th birthday rapidly approaching (eek!), I have been trying to take better care of my skin in the hopes of keeping those laugh lines at bay, but until recently that's all I have done. I've been flirting with the idea of injectables for a while, but I've always balked at shelling out upwards of $500. That all changed recently when I saw an offer on
GroupOn for $89 which is much more in keeping with my budget. Ever wanted to know if Botox is painful or whether it really works? Read on for all the details of my experience ...
What Is Botox?
The Botulism toxin is a neurotoxin derived from Clostridium Botulinum, which is most commonly sold commercially as Botox or Dysport. Botulism toxin is one of the most dangerous substances know to man and
it is estimated that a single gram could kill up to 1 million people so
the amount injected in each treatment is extremely small and diluted in
saline.
How Does Botox Work?
Botulism toxin is used to paralyse muscles underlying the line to prevent it contracting. In order for a muscle to contract, aretylcholine is required and the Botulism toxin prevents the release of this chemical in the body.
Botox Side Affects
Such a powerful drug is not going to come without some side effects which can include mild pain at the injection site, headaches, nausea, unwanted paralysis near the injection site, eyelid/brow drooping, decreased eyesight, swelling and dry mouth among others. Reputable practitioners will thoroughly explain all of this to first timers and you will most likely be required to sign a waiver before your treatment begins.
My Experience
I was a little apprehensive as I sat in the waiting room and even more so when all the possible side effects were explained, but I pulled on my big girls panties, took a deep breath and signed the all important waiver. I was taken to a treatment room the likes of which you would find in any beautician. My practitioner looked at my face under some very bright lights and make me squint and contort to show my wrinkles at their best (worst!), while she marked the injection sites on my face. She advised that the amount covered under the $89 deal wasn't nearly enough to get my lines under control and I would need double that amount which I begrudging agreed to pay for. There was a little bleeding afterwards, but nothing
excessive and this was easily fixed by a little pressure. There is no
downtime with Botox injections and you can complete the treatment in your lunch break
and head straight back to work, however you may experience a little
redness near the injection sites. I walked out in under half an hour with a promise that in 5
days the toxin will have done it's magic and my wrinkles should be
significantly diminished.
Does Botox Hurt?
I would not exactly describe the experience as
pleasant, after all someone is actually sticking needles in your face! That said, the needles are very fine and any pain was fleeting and
certainly bearable. The sensation is generally like a needle scratch but some injections seem to go deeper which can sting. The area that I treated (crows feet) is very sensitive and your eyes may water a little as some of the needles go in.
Does Botox Work?
My answer would have to be ... sort of lol. It certainly wasn't the miracle line eraser I was hoping for. I know these photos are not brilliant and I tell you photographing your own face this close is no barrel of laughs. I pulled my best contortion moves again to show my wrinkles at their worst ... seriously who does that and then puts it on the internet!!! All in the name of science right? Anyway, I have noticed a little softening of the lines in the after shot in picture two but it is certainly not the miracle that I was seeking. Maybe I needed a bigger dose? I could be tempted to give it another go just to see how it went a second time around but if the results were consistent with my first attempt I think I'll probably just give Botox a wide berth in the future. It's just not worth the dollars for such a slight result.
I'm curious ... Have you ever tried Botox? What was your experience? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Until Next Time ...
Happy Hunting!
SFH
xoxoxo
You Might Also Like
More Beauty Posts Here.
Disclaimer:
This posts contains affiliate links for which a small commission may be
paid. Items marked C/O have been provided by the retailer.
All opinions are my own.